Thursday, January 7th, 2021

Dear CIS Families, 

On January 7, 2021, an emergency board meeting was held at 7:00 pm EST (on zoom) to discuss school re-entry based on the increasing cases of COVID-19 within Cabarrus County. At this meeting, Mr. Canty presented a joint plan on behalf of the school leadership team to the Board of Directors to postpone school re-entry until February 16, 2021. After an open-session discussion, the Board voted and agreed to this recommendation. As a result, we plan to bring all k-8 students back to school on February 16, 2021. We will continue to plan our scheduling using the Hybrid-Plan-B model for all students. This decision will be reviewed again during the February 11th Board meeting. We continue to see a rise in the number of our families opting to have their child/children continue to attend school remotely.


As you may know, Cabarrus County is now classified as a “red zone” for positive cases. Many of our families reside in Cabarrus County in addition to the other school districts where CIS families reside that include Gaston, Union, Mecklenburg, Iredell-Statesville, Kannapolis City, Mooresville Graded, and Rowan Salisbury. The counties that each of these districts are zoned for are currently considered as “red” or critical counties in terms of the number of positive COVID cases.


While we hoped to return to campus on Monday, January 11, 2021, it is simply not in the best interest of our students and faculty/staff to return to campus at this time. With the assistance of state and local health officials, and our Board of Directors, we will continue to monitor the health of our community in making these decisions. It is our sincere intent and our desire to have our students back on campus to receive academic instruction in person. We truly appreciate your partnership and patience.