- Category: Academics
We follow the North Carolina Standard Course of Study (NCSCS) NC Standard Course of Study, which was recently revised and built around the Common Core Framework.
Teachers incorporate multiple best-practice strategies to apply the standards. Differentiation steeped in reading, writing and discussion provides our instructional focus. appropriate, sequential instruction along with other curriculum innovations that allow for integrated and individualized instruction.
The CIS curriculum includes the study of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, international and environmental studies, the visual and performing arts, computer technology, healthful living/physical education, and Spanish. Reading, Writing, and Math Labs devote special attention to these fundamental skills.
International perspectives and environmental awareness are brought to each of these subject areas to help foster understanding among young people around the world and stewardship of our natural resources, enabling future generations to live more peacefully and productively.
• Project-oriented thematic study with inquiry-based instruction
• International emphasis, with Sister Cities around the world
• Environmental studies on our 82-acre site with forest and wetlands
• Individual learning emphasis for each student
• Character education CIS Core Values: Respect, Responsibility, Solutions, Service