For the remainder of the 2014-15 school year we are only enrolling in Grade 11. If you are interested in enrolling in Grade 11 for the remainder of this year please fill out an online application and also cntact the school office.
- Category: Enrollment
Please click on following link to view a PowerPoint presentation on our Kindergarten Program: Kindergarten
For those considering early entry into Kindergarten, please click on the foillowing link for more information: NC Early Entry into Kindergarten
- Category: Enrollment
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Charter School? A Charter School is a public school, but one that is independent of any school district, thus allowing more freedom in educational approach, an assist to improving student achievement.
- Is there a tuition fee to attend? No; we are a public school and there is no cost to attend.
- Who can enroll in a Charter School? Do I have to be a resident of North Carolina in order to apply to CIS? Charter Schools are permitted to enroll any student living in the state of North Carolina who is entitled to a free public education. It is required that all applications for students accepted by NC charter schools be residents of North Carolina. It is insufficient that the parent intends to move here at some point in the future. The domiciliary must be in place at the time of the student application in order for that particular application to gain consideration in the charter school lottery and/or admissions process.
- Do teachers at Charter Schools need to be licensed? North Carolina Law requires that 50% of charter school teachers to be licensed. However, charter school teachers must follow No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements for highly qualified staff. All teachers who are teaching in the core subject areas of Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts shall be college graduates. Exceptional Children (EC) teachers must be licensed in the state of North Carolina with a specialty in the EC services area.
- How many of your teachers are licensed and highly qualified? For the 2017/2018 school year 93% of our teachers are certified and highly qualified. 100% of our teachers have a college degree.
- How is your curriculum different from other schools? We use an interdisciplinary curriculum. Our curriculum consists of the common core and essential standards provided by the State of North Carolina, and we enhance those standards with International and Environmental studies.
- What are the demographics of the CIS student population for the 2017/2018 school year? The demographics for the 2017/2018 school year are as follows: Asian: 8%, Black: 28%, Hispanic: 16%, Multi/Other: 8%, White: 40%,
- What percent of CIS students are economically disadvantaged? For the 2016/2017 school year 9% of our population was economically disadvantaged.
- What is a 1 to 1 laptop school? A 1 to 1 laptop school means each child in grades 3 through 12 is required to have a laptop of their own to use daily in the classrooms as well as at home for their homework. CIS owns all laptops that are utilized by the students; no personal laptops are permitted. Students are required to pay a technology fee each year.
- Does my child need to wear a uniform? We have a dress code at school. Students must follow the dress code every day. More information regarding our dress code can be found on our website under the Parent Information tab.
- Do primary grades have Teacher Assistants? Yes; each Kindergarten 1st and 2nd grade class has a Teacher Assistant for 1/2 of the day.
- Does CIS provide transportation? No, we are a carpool school. The school buses we have on campus are used for field trips only.
- Does CIS have a cafeteria? No; Yo can chhose between bringing a healthy bagged lunch from home or you can order from our two catering services. More information on the catering services, including pricing, can be found on our website. Pizza is available each Friday for $1.00 a slice.
- Does CIS have a gym? We have a gymnasium facility but it is presently used for needed additional classroom space for our 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students. We are in the process of fundraising to build extra classrooms and return the space back into a gymnasium. Students have recess and P.E. outside when conditions are between 36 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- What foreign languages does CIS offer? We currently offer Spanish and a variety of other languages through our International Studies program.
- Does CIS have an Exceptional Children program? Yes; all public schools serve children with special needs.
- Is CIS an accredited school, and if so, by what accrediting body? CIS is an accredited school by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- What sort of student is successful at CIS? Students who do well at this school are motivated and independent thinkers.
- How are students at CIS evaluated? They are evaluated through a variety of ways: Formative/summative and common exams in the classroom, as well as Measuring Academic Progress (AMP) testing and the end of the course/year state assessments.
- Where do most of the children at CIS live? 64% of the students are from Charlotte/Mecklenburg County, 32% from Cabarrus County, and the balance is from the City of Kannapolis and Rowan County/City of Salisbury Schools.
- Does CIS have a Parent/Teacher Organization? Yes, we have an excellent and active Parent/Teacher/Student (PTSO), which meets once a month.
- Category: Enrollment
What is a charter school?
Charter schools are public schools that provide parents a choice in the education of their children—and it is a public choice. Public tax dollars are the primary funding sources for charter schools. Local, state, and federal dollars follow the child to a charter school. The schools have open enrollment with no discrimination, no religious associations, and no tuition.
How do I enroll my student in a charter school?
Parents must contact each individual school to see if they have openings. If a charter school has more applicants than available slots, an open lottery must be held to fill the spots. For a list of charter schools, please visit North Carolina Office of Charter Schools.
Aren't some charter schools impossible to get into unless you know someone who already attends?
Admission preferences may be given to younger siblings of currently enrolled students. Children of teachers and administrators at a charter school may also be given admission preferences at that school. If a school has more applicants than openings, the remaining openings are filled in an open lottery.
What are the residency requirements to attend a charter school?
Students who live in North Carolina are eligible to attend a North Carolina charter school. There are no restrictions about county of residence.
How much does it cost to attend a charter school?
Charter schools are tuition free. They are public schools and funding for the schools come from federal, state, and local taxes.
Are charter school teachers licensed?
Yes, but there is more latitude than conventional public schools have. The state requires 75% of charter school teachers in elementary school to be licensed (certified), while 50% in middle and high school must be licensed. However, all charter school teachers must follow NCLB requirements for highly-qualified staff.
Do charter schools take the state-mandated ABCs tests?
Yes. All charter schools are required to take the state mandated End-of-Grade and End-of-Course Tests. For test results of charter schools, please visit The ABCs Accountability Model.
What are the requirements for acceptance into a charter school?
Charter schools have missions that define what students will do. The only requirement to get into a charter school is the availability in the requested grade at the school.
Are charter schools associated with the local school systems?
At this time, no charter schools in North Carolina operate under the auspices of a local school system. All charter schools in Wake County, for example, operate independently of the Wake County Public School System.
What is the schedule for a charter school?
A charter school's board of directors defines the start and end of the school year and the time of the school day. Like all public schools in North Carolina, charter schools must hold classes for 185 days or 1,025 hours in a school year.
Are charter schools run by large corporations?
Some charter schools in North Carolina are operated by corporations, educational management organizations (EMOs). Some rely on corporations to administer finances and operations. Some charter schools operate independently of external corporations. All charter schools are governed by a board of directors of a nonprofit corporation. Check with the individual charter school.
How can I learn more about charter schools?
To learn about North Carolina's charter schools, please visit North Carolina Office of Charter Schools.